Saturday, May 17, 2008

Coffee Snob?

I've been drinking the good stuff on a regular basis since I was about 15 - the nearly three hour commute to get to and from my fabulous high school five days a week, plus my lack of self control, really cemented any chance I had of sticking to orange juice to just wake me up.
For years, I kept it to myself and only drank the coffee out of the house. The reason: my mother, who is the most health conscious person I know, abhorred (and abhors) caffeine.
I remember a funny coffee related incident the summer after I finished high school, on my way to a trip to Egypt with my kid sister for a few weeks. We were in the car, on our way to Montreal to catch our flight with my mom and dad, and I suddenly felt the urge to confess.
"Mama," I said, "I have to tell you something terrible."
"Yes?" she asked.
"I drink coffee. I drink it EVERYDAY."
My mom laughed and nodded and said something like "I figured".
I've always preferred a "real" coffee - Second Cup, Timothy's, Starbucks - to a Timmy's or the instant stuff, but the bottom line is that I just have to get my fix, and I'll take it however I can get it (see my trying to quit posts from last Ramadan for further proof). I also like the real cappuccinos from Second Cup WAY more than the sugar-filled stuff at Timmy's.

The reason I'm even thinking about any of this is that this morning on CBC radio (my favourite station ever!), they were doing blind taste tests in TO, having people sample instant vs. really brewed coffee in the streets and seeing which they preferred. Most seem to prefer the real brew, but it seems there are more than expected who like their coffee with "three crystals of Folgers, Half a cup of cream and five tablespoons of sugar" as the radio host said - Yuck!

When I'd first started going into "Proper" coffee stores, I would try not to laugh or roll my eyes as I heard people order the complex sounding names. You know, the "I'll have a non-fat, extra foam, double shot, extra hot soy latte" order? Well, when I first discovered my allergies to milk, my ability to drink Lattes was shot in the foot. I also had to avoid the sugar, but I loved my fancy coffee drinks so much that I HAD to find a way to solve the "milk free, sugar free" coffee crisis. I scoured the various coffee shops until I discovered Timothy's "sugar free vanilla syrup", which they could use with soy milk to produce my "small soy vanilla sugar free latte". I suddenly felt like just as much of a coffee snob as those I was laughing about...
I've since eased up, I only treat myself to a soy latte about once every two months now, and most days I just get a regular coffee and allow myself a little bit of milk or cream in my coffee. I don't avoid all milk or sugar products any more, I just make sure to keep it to a minimum and that seems to keep me ok.

2 comments:

Jen said...

It's funny because that's how I got addicted to 'snobby' coffee too... I was breastfeeding daughter #1 and found out she is allergic to milk. Hence I had to become dairy-free as well. So I ended up meeting friends for coffee at Starbucks because at that time they were the only ones around who made such tailored drink orders, including soy ones (they will even clean their equipment first so no dairy traces!). I am since off the dairy-free stuff... but my chai latte addiction remains...

Interestingly if you enter a Starbucks in the U.K. and order a non-fat, no water, no foam chai latte you get THE dirtiest look imaginable. It's not what you do there...

PS. I'll be home in August inshallah. don't worry about the book...

noha said...

Yay!!! Jen will be home in August...
Yeah, the whole dairy free, sugar free, wheat free thing has gotten crazy at times. It's quite the relief that I don't have "official" allergies and just sensitivities, so I can get away with small amounts of this stuff. Trying to avoid it completely is virtually impossible.
Nice reaction in England; I should tell you sometime about what happened when I tried to make sure I was not accidentally consuming milk or wheat at restaurants in Egypt while on my honeymoon. The looks from the various waiters were extremely amusing, to say the least...