Monday, January 01, 2007

My New Year's Resolution

There's a beautiful hadeeth (saying / teaching) of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) on the topic of patience, which says:

"How wonderful is the case of the believer; there is good for him in everything he does, and this applies only to the believer. If prosperity attends him, he expresses gratitude to God and that is good for him; and if adversity befalls him, he endures it patiently and that is better for him".
My new year's resolution is to implement this gratitude and patience in my life on a daily basis, whether with blessings or disappointments, both big and small. Those of you who know me know I wear my heart on my sleeve, which in itself is not a problem, but which of course has the sometimes-effect of higher-highs and lower-lows than necessary for life's everyday happenings. If you see me getting out of hand, remind me to be good. Please and Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salaams Noha,

My sister and I started a site to record gratitude to God. It's at www.favrs.net; It's been running for 2 months now and it has a small group of users who log almost daily - but that's not expected. But it really does help to remember the good things we have been provided with - every one of us. Thanks for the reminder and the beautiful hadith.
Sajda