Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Coffee Dilemna

If you recall, ages ago (aka roughly last year) I planned to quit coffee, and successfully did so... for 2-3 weeks, before work/life got hectic again and I just needed one which eventually spiraled into just needing another, and another, and, well, you get the picture. Earlier this summer, I copped to my addiction and faced the fact that for the time being, I'm not going to stress myself over quitting and feel bad for something for no good reason (it's like, either fix it or forget about it. Guilt without action is pointless, even destructive as far as I'm concerned, at least for a measly coffee addiction that's hurting no one but me, and even that only a little bit.)


All of this, of course, is a prelude to a "but..." - 'what's the 'but', Noha?' you ask? Well, the but is that Ramadan is soon, as in tomorrow, and during Ramadan we don't eat or drink between dawn and sunset, and that, of course, includes not drinking coffee. For a few years, the first few days of Ramadan have always been difficult for me for this reason - not because I can't eat, or because I don't drink water, but because I don't get my caffeine fix, and so it would only be logical that as Ramadan approaches, I phase coffee out gradually, so the lack of caffination doesn't hit me like a ton of bricks tomorrow.

Now, ask me if I phased out the coffee gradually over the last few days. Go ahead, ask: Did you phase the coffee out, like a reasonable, future-looking person would, as the inevitable approached?

NO! No, I didn't phase it out. I drank my usual mug every morning. In fact, I even went from a medium to a large the last couple of days, not because I'd gotten especially less sleep than usual, but just on a whim, just because I figured I was gonna miss the coffee.

So there. There's my confession. If I seem groggy or just kind of out of it if you run into me over the next few days, you'll know why...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TSK TSK TSK.

from a former coffee addict, blissfully cured for 5 months now,
sajda
p.s. cold turkey is the way to go

noha said...

Yah, you should be tsking. I had a KILLER headache yesterday, and this morning with suhoor I had a cup-java and feel MUCH better today :D

Anonymous said...

OMG you are just saying my own story .. exactly what I attempted to do. In fact, last Ramadan I successfuly stopped drinking coffee a month before Ramadan, not only that, but I drank milk instead. Funny I know!!
This year, I said what the ... why the suffering. This is like killing me twice. Once during training phase before Ramadan and second during Ramadan itself when I actually stop eating and drinking. So this year !!! guess what I do?
I actually take sohour then coffee ;)
I loose hope. Life is too short.