Saturday, September 15, 2007

Not Writer's Block but Writer's Lack of Focus

Over the last week, I have written so many random snippets of poems and prose that may or may not all belong together that I've lost track. I suspect this all began with Daniel Moore's poetry reading last Sunday, and since that time, my head's been swimming with writing, but so little of it has any order, that even though I write it down, it still seems useless.
I am unable to string together enough of one idea or one coherent beat to come out of this with any actual pieces, though at the moment I begin writing, it feels as though there's a poem, or a paragraph, or something waiting for me at the other end of my thought.
Back in high school, when I used to write with some regularity, I was forced to finish my work for assignments, good or bad, and so due to the law of averages at least some of the finished product was acceptable.
I've started reading through Bird by Bird, which Jen lent me after I explained in my meme how I never finish any writing, and it sort of helps, if only because I can relate to the writer's struggles (mind you, the woman is published, so...)
I've spent most of today working on a story I have to finish which started off so well, middled so well (you know what I mean) and now just refuses to finish. I'm close to the end, really, it's just that conclusions and denouements have ALWAYS been the weakest link in my writing.
When I think about it, any writing at this point should be a good sign. It's the engine sputtering back to life after being dormant for so long (and it can't be expected to run smoothly right from the start!) Still, I'm frustrated and trying not to be. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Have you thought about writing some shorter pieces? You could just keep your skillz loose with some magazine writing, stuff like that. I don't know if that's your thing. But you totally could (and that external deadline thing would keep you working at it). Anyway, finish Bird by Bird if you can, because it was the last part that I found the best. Inshallah. Not like you don't have enough on your plate, lol!

noha said...

heheh... I should probably have clarified that "started reading Bird by Bird" meant I was now on page 17 of the introduction. I'm quite enjoying it, but my problem is that I always read a) fiction before non-fiction, and b) the book from the library before the book I've borrowed from a friend, so....
I do write shorter pieces, usually character pieces or random thoughts, but they're so short they don't really add up to anything that will make can share. This story I'm writing has a deadline attached to it, and write now, that seems to be part of the problem. But it's just good to be writing again, so for that I should be grateful.

noha said...

Woohoo! All that complaining seems to help. I'm done the story (at least the first draft)

Anonymous said...

Salams Noha ...
Just telling you I reached your blog again :>
Didn't read anything yet though!

Nariman

Jen said...

another non-fic that's good is On Writing by Stephen King. It's great actually. maybe i'll bring it to Ottawa next time i come inshallah. (perhaps you'll be done bird by bird then, lol)

noha said...

I've made some progress in Bird by Bird! I'm around page 50 now, but I should probably point out that I also just picked up another book from the library, so...

Nariman, good to have you back! Hope you enjoy the "back issues".