Sunday, August 10, 2008

Can I at least consider it a healthy addiction?

So M and I went to Paragraph, our favourite Montreal independent bookstore, yesterday, so that I could buy or order the remaining Ann Patchett books. Unfortunately, the only ones they had in store were Run and Bel Canto, two of the three I already own. I left the store having not placed the order, but instead with three other books. One, a classic that I've always loved and always wanted on my bookshelf, To Kill a Mockingbird. Two, The Gathering by Anne Enright, winner of the Man Booker prize for 2007, and three, a non-fiction, the latest by John Esposito, called Who Speaks For Islam.
I still have to finish Run before I can start any of these, but I think I'm actually dangerous to myself in a bookstore. If you left me there for a few days, I could easily run myself into debt. I can't stop...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids have learned that whenever we're near a bookshop they have to grab my arms and... just... keep.... me.... walking past. Otherwise we'll lose ages in there.

noha said...

When I was younger, if my sisters and I went shopping, I basically wined in all the other stores and asked when we were going to be done. Eventually, the solution we discovered was to drop me off at the bookstore and come back and get me when they were done their rounds in all the other stores. The result: I had the best bookshelf and the worst closet. I'm probably still the least fashionable one in my family to this day... although I'm working on it.

Big Brother said...

Books what a delicious addiction. We have a bookstore not far from where I live and whenever I go in, I invariably come out many dollars poorer but many books richer...

noha said...

that's just it. It's nearly impossible to go into a bookstore and come out empty-handed. Empty walleted though? No problem.

Anonymous said...

a cool and eclectic set of purchases. will be curious to hear what you think of the esposito book.

Anonymous said...

I hope there are many more book addicts like us out there so they'll keep publishing. The industry is so worried that the internet will take over and no one will want real books anymore. I still like to curl up with a real book -- a computer monitor just isn't the same.

noha said...

XUP, I totally know what you mean. I like reading in bed sometimes until I can't keep my eyes open anymore and then putting the book down as I'm practically falling to sleep. You just can't do that with a laptop, can you?