Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Minor Non-Joy of Summer

Have you ever had a great creative spurt interrupted by the incessant music your neighbour plays at full volume ON THEIR PATIO for the benefit of all around him? Musical taste is definitely in the ear of the beholder, and while "I love Rock and Roll" is not an unpleasant song, it certainly shuts off the creative juices for me, and so my lovely typing is now hampered by the fact that I can't hear myself think. Instead, I can hear a fantastic collection of 80's and 90's music. I'm too lazy/nice to actually go outside and figure out which neighbour this is, and then request a volume modification, but this is one of those things where you expect the courtesy of those who live nearby, is it not?
I'm reminded of a family that lived across the street from us growing up. We were good friends, playing constantly with their daughter at their house, having her over, riding our bikes up and down the street together. One thing though, her father decided to take up the clarinet one year, and he liked to practice with the windows open at 9:30 p.m. He was a novice. End of story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People can be so inconsiderate! But I guess if this was the only time they've done it maybe it was a special occasion, or the parents were away and the kids went nuts -- if they do it all the time, however, I'd be over there to have a little chat. And if that doesn't work, you can always call the police, right?

noha said...

Yeah, we've been there for close to two years and this is the first time I can remember it happening so hopefully it'll remain rare, and it's not new neighbours who are going to make a habit out of it.
We considered considering calling the police, but my father mentioned that if it's before 11 p.m., they won't come. Not sure if this is a law or just a common belief... I closed the windows.

Anonymous said...

I do not do well with other people's music or TV's, even if they share my tastes. It just drives me around the bend.

noha said...

COTW, I find it mildly annoying when I'm doing random stuff around the house, but if I'm trying to do something that requires concentration (aka last night's attempts to write!) it makes me nuts!