Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Happy Eidin' to All!

And to all a good night... Heheh, no just kidding.
Yesterday one of my colleagues at work asked me what we said to each other to wish each other a good Eid: Merry Eid? Happy Eid?
I guess everyone says their own thing, right? When I'm saying it in English, I tend to say "Happy Eid". "Merry Eid" just sounds too Christmas-y, and "Blessed Eid", which would be a literal translation of "Eid Mubarak", which is how we say it in Arabic, sounds too old school in English. It makes me feel like pronouncing the second "e" in "blessed" and getting all Shakespeare-like...
So, Happy Eid it is. I hope those celebrating have a fabulous day, filled with their favourite things, whatever they may be (friends, family, sugar, chocolate, laughter....)
Tune in soon for a great story on how my Little Angela handled her first Eid in Dubai... and in other important Little Angel/Angela news, my Little Angel is now able to say "Nonno" (which is the baby-version of my name that Little Angela came up with). For this delightful tidbit of info, I must take my sister' and parent's word: he refuses to say it into the phone to me... Ah well, good enough I s'pose.

4 comments:

- K said...

Actually I find that "Happy Eid" works because it's also an exact translation of another common Eid greeting: "Eid Sa'eid". I usually say "Eid Mubarak" in Arabic, but I like the rhyming greeting too.

noha said...

hmmm, true... I actually never used the "eid sa'eed" phrase. It was either "eid mubarak" or the very Egyptian "kol sana winto tayyibeen" (always have a hard time translating that one: "have a great year"? "happy new year"? Not really....)
Hope your cold is going away quickly...

Anonymous said...

Well, then, a Happy Eid to you. And a blessed one, too.

noha said...

Thanks COTW :)