Friday, June 06, 2008

Are You an Aquavore? (Or "I'm all talk")

I got this in my work newsletter today. It's a water-use calculator that helps you figure out how many litres you use a day on average. I filled out the questionnaire to find my numbers and it's embarrassing how much I use... Changes must be made. Low-flow taps must be sought out. Dishes and glasses that don't need to fill the dishwasher must be rinsed quickly and set aside, taps must be turned off while toothbrushing, and shower times must be limited...
The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, has a hadeeth (saying) that says to conserve water, even if you're doing your wudu (ablution) in a river. Conservation is important, and that's not just a theory.
Check it out yourself. There's nothing like finding out how much water you waste to shake you into action.

1 comment:

XUP said...

We do indeed lead very wasteful lifestyles, from the amount of water we use, to the amount and type of food we consume, to the big gas-guzzling cars we drive to the oversized homes we live in to the gigantic malls we drive to in order to buy, buy, buy. Thanks for the reminder!