Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Happy Birthday to Her

I've always known that my mother is a very special woman, but in the last few years, watching some of my sisters become mothers themselves, and all that that entails, I have come to a much better understanding of what it takes to be a good mother.
Mothers feed and change and hug and teach and comfort and protect their children. Mothers wake up a million times a night when the baby won't sleep, or the toddler's sick, or the pre-schooler's wet his bed, or the kindergartner's afraid to go to school, or the kiddo's worried about a test, or the teenager's gotten into a fight with her best friend, or the grown child is calling from far away and just needs to talk. Mothers take care of everyone else before they even dare to think about themselves. Mothers have an endless tap of love that just keeps gushing out the life that everyone else drinks from. Mothers are beautiful, fierce creatures. My mother is my hero.
Have a perfect day Mama.

No comments: